Saturday, June 19, 2010

Looking for a 4th of July Costume or Decorations? by David Apps

Halloween is a favorite holiday around my house so I can’t tell you how surprised and happy I was to find a jewel of a store located right in my own back yard. I had taken my wife to an appointment on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago and noticed a costume store across the street called Fantasy Costumes. I had some time to kill so I decided to give it walk through.


I must not have been paying attention as I walked up to the place because I didn’t notice that the store was 1 city block long until after I started to walk around it. There must be well over 10 thousands costumes in this store. You would think that with a store the size of this one and the fact that it isn’t Halloween there would be plenty of room to walk around.

Think again the store is stuffed solid from the floor to the ceiling with costumes, masks, makeup, props you name it they have it. They have room dedicated to just mask’s, that us the size of most costumes stores. The mask room’s walls and display cases are filled to the point I don’t think they could fit another mask in the room. The selection is mind boggling.

Every year my family and I set up a haunted house that most people tell us is better the 90% of the haunted houses they pay to get into. With this little obsession comes our yearly ritual of hitting all the Halloween stores looking for cool costumes, makeup and props to add to our haunted house.

One of the biggest problems I have every year is finding good makeup. Sure the kid stuff is easy to fine but good stuff that is used on stages is almost impossible to find. I always end up ordering it on line at what seems to be premium prices. Well here’s where the people in the store must have thought I was nuts when I stopped dead in my tracks and yell out “hell ya”. Quickly regaining my composer my eyes scanned the huge display cases filled with every type of makeup I could imagine, and then some.

They also have a vast rental department with every type of high-line rental costume you can think of. I saw Santa’s, Rabbits, Bears, Elf’s, birds, Uncle Sam, mosses the list goes on-and-on. All I can tell you is if you need a costume or enjoy Halloween this store is a must see.

The prices are also great, considerably lower than the Halloween stores that pop-up around Halloween. They also have a website at www.fantasycostumes.com, but I will tell you there is no were near the amount of products on the site that they have in the store. The address is 4065 N. Milwaukee Ave. Chicago IL, the phone is 773-777-0222. Go check it out you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment